Sunday, February 3, 2008

Reflection 3

My University is going to sound a little too perfect, but work with me here. It's my University, right?

If I could build my own University it would be small and an all women's university. I like small campuses better than large ones, because the environment has a more more community like attitude, rather than a fend for yourself feel to it. I would also make sure my school recycled and was green friendly. I want to make sure the students, faculty, staff, etc all share respectful attitudes with each other. I would have a set of res. hall rooms for early risers and people who stay up late, because there are usually problems in res. halls because of this and I think it would be a lot more efficient to have res. halls dedicated to both sleeping patterns so people could get along a little better in their living environments. My University would have 24 hour food services and full access to the library 24/7. I would also have a campus lounge for students, faculty, and anyone else to relax in. The lounge would need to have comfy chairs, some active things, computers, and food options so people wouldn't have to go all the way back to their res. halls or apartments because they have an hour break between classes. This lounge would be an academically as well as a physically stimulating environment. My res. halls would have guest policies just like the ones at Chatham, because I think our guest policies make a lot of sense, see student handbook. My res. halls would also have water fountains and black and white along with color printers and access to scanners and photo copiers with no cost to the student. At my University everyone would have a week break every other month for a cool off period, because staying at school without a break every once in a while is hard to do sometimes. Class times at my University would also be solid once they were put on the registration website, because it becomes an inconvenience for everyone when class times change after people have already enrolled in the course. My campus would look almost identical to Chatham, because I love the set up. I want my campus to be very environmentally engaged. I want my campus to be a beautiful oasis down a long road no one ever travels, unless they live there because they have no idea where it leads. My University would be very academically engaging with tons of interesting classes and opportunities to take classes at other Universities. I would want a diverse student body along with the faculty and staff. Everyone working for the University or attending the University would be selected because they represent something my University stands for. I want this to happen, because when my faculty, staff, and student body leave campus I want the people they interact with daily to know they came from my University just by the way they carry themselves. I could go on forever about my University, but I am going to stop now. My University would be one of the most amazing Universities around. In the end I would want it to be similar to Chatham, but with some things adjusted. After all, I chose Chatham because I love it here, why would I want to make anything different?

5 comments:

Jenn said...

I think you and I have a similar vibe to our universities in that they mimic the setup of Chatham. I agree that we came here for a reason so obviously like it, but I think we've both spoke to some of the flaws in our own university - any suggestions on fixing those problems?

You also make an intriguing point about a faculty/student lounge (where I assume both will mingle and chill) - are you in favor of faculty playing a more active role in student lives? Why/Why not. I ride the fence quite a bit.

Myster said...

I ride the fence with that topic too. I think it would be great to have student and faculty integrated areas, but it would either have to start that way at the university or it would have to be integrated slowly. personally, i think it would be AMAZING to have faculty/staff run events in the residence halls. That said, i think the faculty and staff would have to make sure to leave the res. halls promptly after the event ends, because we need to make sure students are still comfortable in the environment they call home while the school year is commencing. I do think having faculty and staff around student run areas would be amazing, but it would have to happen slowly if this tradition did not already exist at the university. Although the res. halls are for students to call home, i think a little bit of space can be given for others to explore. In my University, i would also want the res. halls to be locked 24/7 with key access, because i believe that random people should not be allowed to enter the res. halls unless they are supposed to, including faculty and staff.

elsia said...

i loike your idea of a college alot. there would be a real comfortable enviornment, but i may ask what happens when people start to change. some people may have all the qualities of your university when they enter, but after a wile they change completey and have all the traits that your university does not want?

Ms. L said...

Well, I guess you are another person who thinks like me. I too want a small all girls college. I think it offers the best of both worlds for the students that are not use to a large setting. I would also call your res halls, theme halls.

Being that I have visited tons of College, I think your U would be larger than you think.

Laura

katie said...

This sounds like paradise. I like the idea of isolation, and I love that you want workers that represent a quality of your university so that they can spread the word around about it, and represent it in a good manner.