Monday, March 17, 2008

LPI

I think the best way to question whether or not I have developed in my leadership ways, is to look at how i have handled situations. I think it's better to look at example, rather than to speak of how i have changed. Where is the proof? I noticed that I have been working on building up my ability to tell people an idea might not work without hurting their feelings. I can look at the situation from their perspective and figure out how they would feel being told something a certain way, so that i can alter the way i talk to them. I have been doing this a lot with group activities in my classes recently. I have also been doing really well with handling arguments and confrontation. I strongly dislike arguments, but when I have been faced with them through out the day I handled them in a way that suprised myself. I am a leader and I am supposed to be setting an example, a long with some of the friends i find arguing. I want to take the first step by acting against argument, so maybe they will catch on and do the same thing. Before I take any action I always think about how my actions will affect other people, how they will react, and if that reaction is something desirable, if it isn't desirable I will change my plan of action. It might seem like a long thought process, but I've been doing it my whole life so I have got the hang of it. I am excited to finally have a chance to fine tune my leadership skills. I can already see the improvement.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

So does this indicate that you scored lowest in Encourage the Heart and Model the Way? I like that you can see examples in your life post-SLPI that speak to your growth - do you think you're more conscious of your leadership style? Is it difficult for you to work AGAINST all of those boxes friends and professors have placed you in - I think so many times, the way we act dictates how others expect us to be, and when we change, they subtly prevent us from doing so...

Chivone said...

Your blog post has helped me decide how I'm going to analize the changes since I took the SLPI. Your words 'where is the proof'has given me insight into how I'm going to assess myself. Thanks for leading the way.

katie said...

I like the idea of looking at how you've handled different situations after everything has happened. I think its great too that you have changed for the better in situations that may include conflict etc. Do you plan on doing anything else to work on other areas of your leadership, or just keep focusing on what you have been?